VMS Students To Attend Harvard Model United Nations

The flags of the 195 countries recognized by the United Nations.

Getty Images/iStockphoto

Owen Cruz-Abrams, Middle School Correspondent

Each year, Harvard University hosts the preeminent gathering of aspiring young politicians during the Harvard Model United Nations. The sixty-ninth annual session of HMUN will take place from January 27th-30th, 2022, and will be hosted by Harvard University. Each year, selected institutions from across the world receive invitations to attend the conference. This year, the Vail Mountain School is one of them. 

Eight members of the VMS Model UN elective course will travel to Cambridge, MA, where they will be assigned to a delegation from one of the 195 countries recognized by the United Nations. That delegation will then be assigned to a committee, either in the General Assembly or the Economic and Social Council. Once in their committee, students will discuss their country’s position on pressing issues with the objective of finding an amicable, real-world solution to them. 

Those that will be traveling to HMUN are eagerly anticipating the trip. An eighth grader that will be attending the conference said that they were “excited about the prospect to gather with other students who share a passion for politics and diplomacy at the conference.” This conference will serve as an opportunity for students to explore future careers within both domestic and foreign policy. 

Students participating in the conference will follow a strict doctrine defined by the United Nations used in debates between all countries, both model and real-world. This is an incredible opportunity for students of Vail Mountain School, for the conference is highly prestigious and a fantastic learning opportunity.

Harvard Model United Nations has been happening for many years, and is, according to the World Model United Nations council, “The most prestigious MUN.” The list of famous attendees stretches from Ban Ki-moon, Former Secretary-General of the United Nations, to Tom Donilon, former National Security Advisor in the Obama administration. Chelsea Clinton and Willem-Alexander, King of The Netherlands are also distinguished alumni of the conference.

Middle schoolers hoping to attend the conference must be 13 years old or older, and though Vail Mountain School is not currently sending a high school delegation, it should be noted that the conference allows everybody 13 and up in middle and high school to attend.

This year’s meeting is a momentous occasion for the conference, because due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the event was made virtual in 2020. This year will be the first year since then where all delegates will be physically present for debate. Participants of the conference will not only get the chance to work on a committee but will also get many opportunities exclusive to the trip, such as a tour of Harvard University and the City of Boston.